Welcome new students!

This blog is for newly admitted students to the Graduate Center, CUNY.

We would like to welcome and congratulate you! If you haven’t already accepted our offer of admission please do so by logging back into the online application. Registration materials will not be generated for you if you do not officially accept the offer.

Official Documents – Transcripts and Test Scores

All admitted students need to send official, copies of all their academic transcripts.  Official copies can either be sent though the mail in unopened envelopes sealed by the issuing institution OR electronically from Parchment and/or Clearinghouse.  Transcripts from degree granting institutions also need to also list proof of degree as having been issued.  These should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions prior to registration.  Questions regarding these documents or electronic documents should be emailed to admissions@gc.cuny.edu

Please have transcripts sent by mail to:

Office of Admissions, The Graduate Center

365 Fifth Avenue, Room 7201

New York, NY 10016

Official GRE/TOEFL/GMAT/IELTS scores need to be sent to The Graduate Center directly by the test issuer.

The official school code for GRE and TOEFL is: 2113

The official school code for GMAT is: XWT-S7-47

Immunizations

All new students are required to submit up to date immunization information prior to registration.

NY State Residency (F1 and J1 visa holders will not be able to file for residency)

If you are a US citizen and have lived at your current NY state address for more than a year, you should automatically be identified to receive in-state tuition.

If you are a US citizen and a NY state resident, but have lived at your present NY State address for less than one calendar year, please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.

If you are a Permanent Resident or if you are on a visa other than B, C, D, F, H2, H3, H4, J, M, O, P, Q, or TN and live in NY State please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.

Registration

Registration instructions will be sent to you by email usually in the second week in August.  Since that is several months from now, however, don’t forget to keep us informed of any email address changes.  (You can send those updates to admissions@gc.cuny.edu)

International Students

Applicants who will apply for Nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 Entry Visas to the United States, and applicants already in the United States in F-1 or J-1 Student Status must complete the “Request for Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) and Declaration & Certification of Finances for International Students.

1.  United States government regulations require documentary evidence of financial support for the duration of a proposed course of study prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).
2.  This documentation may also be requested by United States Consular officials upon application for an Entry Visa, by U.S., immigration inspectors at Ports of Entry into the United States, or by immigration inspectors when applications are made for extension of stay or change of Status in the United States.
3.  Submit original documents in support of this application and prepare an additional set of original documents for support of visa applications.

An applicant who would like to change Immigration status to F-1 Student Status should consult the Office of International Students for information on the correct procedure to follow.

Permanent Residents must document their status in the Office of Admissions.

All questions regarding Immigration Status should be directed to the Office of International Students at intstu@gc.cuny.edu

More New Student Information

We will update this blog regularly throughout the summer with topics that we hope you will find interesting and informative.  Please feel free to leave comments about what additional topics you might like us to cover.  Furthermore, we suggest take the time to explore the rest of the CUNY Commons.  It is a resource that will become fully available to you as a member and content creator once you have fully registered as a student and have a gradcenter.cuny.edu email address.

We look forward to you becoming a part of our intellectual community!

18 thoughts on “Welcome new students!

• June 29, 2019 at 6:53 pm
    Permalink

Hi,

I completed my BA in English Literature from Sophia College, University of Mumbai in India in 1999. When I had applied to Baruch College for MS in Statistics program in 2007, I had submitted the official transcript in an unopened envelope sealed by the issuing institution to Baruch College. Would CUNY Graduate Center be able to access to that?

I am asking because it is a rather difficult process to get hold of my transcripts from my college in India. On their website, they say you need to visit the office to obtain the required form to request for the transcript.

• June 23, 2019 at 10:13 pm
    Permalink

Just wanting to confirm something – I was attending a master’s program at Hunter, and am now transferring to Grad Center – I don’t need to send an official transcript from Hunter to GC do I? Thanks!

• May 27, 2019 at 2:14 am
    Permalink

Hi, GC had received my official transcript for more than one week, but my application status is still unofficial. Is there any problem or how long will it take to process this?
    Thanks!

• May 24, 2019 at 10:02 pm
    Permalink

Hello,

If I went to CUNY John Jay for Masters and submitted my transcripts of previous schooling there would you be able to access those ones too? I did my Bachelors in India and , iwould have to travel to India to get it send from there again, it would be great to hear that you can access those documents too.

Also, How about the GRE and IELTS documents, can you access those files too from the CUNY account?

Thank you for your help.

• May 2, 2019 at 11:19 am
    Permalink

Yasmine, Have you looked at our housing posts here in this blog?

• May 2, 2019 at 11:17 am
    Permalink

Mariatere, yes we can access your CCNY transcripts because the end date was so recent. Thanks for checking in!

• May 2, 2019 at 11:15 am
    Permalink

Elena, registration is done online. Your program will reach out to you in the summer if they require you to have advising prior to registration. And the info on HOW to register online will be emailed to you around the first week of August.

• May 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm
    Permalink

Hi, I’m searching for a studio in New York near to the graduate center. Do you know any place or trusted websites to look at ?
    Thanks

• May 1, 2019 at 4:31 pm
    Permalink

Do I need to make an appointment to register for classes or do I just show up on the day of? I plan on registering on the first day.

• May 1, 2019 at 4:23 pm
    Permalink

Hi. Can you access City College transcripts from 2000-2017? I’m not sure when CUNY First started. Also, confirming that you can access City College immunization/health records from 2017.

Thank you!

• May 1, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    Permalink

yes, you will need to do so. Thank you for checking in!

• April 30, 2019 at 4:50 pm
    Permalink

Hello,

I have lived in NYC my whole life, but only at my current address for about 6 months. Should I fill out the residency form?

• April 29, 2019 at 3:53 pm
    Permalink

Registration for new students does not take place until August, so we will be sending you the CUNY First log in info at some point between now and the end of July. Thank you for your patience.

• April 29, 2019 at 3:30 pm
    Permalink

Marisa: I noted that in the Academic Calendar it says that to search for Fall 2019 classes, one should login to CUNYfirst (Student Center). I assume that is not something we have access to yet? If not, how/when does one get access?

Thanks for all your help.

• April 1, 2019 at 10:04 am
    Permalink

Dayle, you can always log back onto the online application system. Or contact the Office of Admissions directly.

• April 1, 2019 at 10:03 am
    Permalink

Jessica, great question. As long as the CUNY schools that you attended was on CUNY First, there is no need to send a hard copy of the transcript. We can access it online! Thanks!

• March 30, 2019 at 8:56 am
    Permalink

Hello. If you attended a CUNY school, do you still need to send your transcript or will it be in the CUNY system already the way your immunization records are?

Thanks.

• March 13, 2019 at 4:25 pm
    Permalink

Hello, I mailed in official transcripts last month, but my application status still says (unofficial). Is there way confirm if the transcripts were received?
    Thanks!