Blogging with CUNY Commons

We’d like to take the time to encourage you to join the CUNY Commons (the site that is hosting this blog.)  As soon as you have registered for classes in August, you will be assigned an @gc.cuny.edu email address which will allow you to join the Commons and either become a contributor to an existing blog or group or begin your own blog or student group.  Before then, you can read most pages and comment on some.

Interested in why you should blog?  Take a look at From Tweet to Blog Post to Peer-Reviewed Article: How to be a Scholar Now by GC’s own Jessie Daniels or take a look at The Virtues of Blogging as a Scholarly Activity at The Chronicle.

Some active blogs on the Commons (that you can read now even though you aren’t yet a Commons member) are:

GC Students of Anthropology – https://anthropology.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

GC English Students blog – https://gcenglish.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Le Hub (French students’ blog) – https://french.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

GC Marxist Reading group – https://capital.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Collaborative Seeing Studio – https://collaborativeseeingstudio.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Zines at the Brooklyn College Library – https://brooklyncollegezines.commons.gc.cuny.edu/

Free Stuff at the GC

Welcome to The Graduate Center! One of the best parts of being a student is the availability of free and low-cost resources available to you on campus. Even though our campus mainly consists of a huge building which used to be a department store, you will be surprised at the wide array of resources available to you!

Free Stuff & Discounts! Unsurprisingly, some of the best student resources are made available by student-run organizations. At the GC, all student organizations are housed under the Doctoral Students’ Council (DSC), which is the body representing Master’s and Doctoral students. For starters, stop by their main office at Room 5495 during their office hours to pick up free condoms and other safer sex materials, help yourself to some coffee, or buy discount movie tickets. While you are on this floor, check out the computer hub in Room 5487, a small, quiet room where you can work on PCs, or use the printer and scanner. In this room as elsewhere in the GC building such as the library and program lounges, students have unlimited free printing, as well as access to scanners (but please be green and print responsibly!)

The DSC also provides free legal consultations, rooms for meetings and events, lockers by lottery, among other cool and useful things.  Run for a seat in the DSC to represent your program or the student body at-large, submit an article to Advocate, our student newspaper, join a chartered organization, organize an event or a conference.

Public events at the GC. Film screenings, concerts, panels, talks, exhibits and more! Check out the calendar of public events for programming ranging from political satire and analysis of current affairs in the Middle East to music & dance from Barcelona. The GC is also a great place to learn about New York City: from the displacement of queer people of color to the loss of middle-class neighborhoods in Stuy Town and the mayor’s take on state of inequality in the city. Are you the artsy type? James Gallery (to your left when you enter the lobby) and The Center for Humanities have cool exhibits and events year-round. These events have free admission for students (and sometimes for the public as well,) but make sure to reserve your seats ahead of time, as popular events run out of space fast!

Check in with Student Activities to find out if they have other discount/free items available for students.

Events in the Neighborhood. The Graduate Center really does sit in the heart of New York City.  Bryant Park has lots of great programming (especially in the summer!) Madison Square Park is another great place for cultural experiences.

Speaking of free stuff: problems with your paycheck? Reach out to a student coordinator at the Adjunct Project or a union rep. Graduate student & adjunct labor keeps CUNY running! If you are looking to apply for in-state tuition, health insurance, clear holds, register a disability (for access to adaptive equipment), take a consortium course, or more, here’s a quick guide to GC offices.

Welcome new students!

This blog is for newly admitted students to the Graduate Center, CUNY.

We would like to welcome and congratulate you! If you haven’t already accepted our offer of admission please do so by logging back into the online application. Registration materials will not be generated for you if you do not officially accept the offer.

Official Documents – Transcripts and Test Scores

Due to COVID-19 shutting down physical facilities we recommend that you request official digital copies of transcripts, whenever possible. The email address these should be delivered to is admissions@gc.cuny.edu. Please note that transcripts are only considered official if they come directly to us from your school’s Registrar or from a transcript service (Parchment, etc. list them)–a transcript that you forward to us (or that you uploaded into your application when you applied for admissions) will not be considered official. If you have any questions please contact us at this same email address; we want to work with you if there are any problems.

All admitted students need to send official, copies of all their academic transcripts.  Official hard copies can either be sent though the postal mail in unopened envelopes sealed by the issuing institution OR electronically from Parchment and/or Clearinghouse.  Transcripts from degree granting institutions also need to also list proof of degree as having been issued.  These should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions prior to registration.  Questions regarding these documents or electronic documents should be emailed to admissions@gc.cuny.edu

Please have transcripts sent by mail to:

Office of Admissions, The Graduate Center

365 Fifth Avenue, Room 7201

New York, NY 10016

Official GRE/TOEFL/GMAT/IELTS scores need to be sent to The Graduate Center directly by the test issuer.

The official school code for GRE and TOEFL is: 2113

The official school code for GMAT is: XWT-S7-47


All new students are required to submit up to date immunization information prior to registration.

NY State Residency (F1 and J1 visa holders will not be able to file for residency)

If you are a US citizen and have lived at your current NY state address for more than a year, you should automatically be identified to receive in-state tuition.

If you are a US citizen and a NY state resident, but have lived at your present NY State address for less than one calendar year, please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.

If you are a Permanent Resident or if you are on a visa other than B, C, D, F, H2, H3, H4, J, M, O, P, Q, or TN and live in NY State please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.


Registration instructions will be sent to you by email usually in the second week in August.  Since that is several months from now, however, don’t forget to keep us informed of any email address changes.  (You can send those updates to admissions@gc.cuny.edu)

International Students

Applicants who will apply for Nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 Entry Visas to the United States, and applicants already in the United States in F-1 or J-1 Student Status must complete the “Request for Certificate of Eligibility and Declaration & Certification of Finances for International Students.” More information can be found on this page. 

1.  United States government regulations require documentary evidence of financial support for the duration of a proposed course of study prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).
2.  This documentation may also be requested by United States Consular officials upon application for an Entry Visa, by U.S., immigration inspectors at Ports of Entry into the United States, or by immigration inspectors when applications are made for extension of stay or change of Status in the United States.
3.  Submit original documents in support of this application and prepare an additional set of original documents for support of visa applications.

An applicant who would like to change Immigration status to F-1 Student Status should consult the Office of International Students for information on the correct procedure to follow.

Permanent Residents must document their status in the Office of Admissions.

All questions regarding Immigration Status should be directed to the Office of International Students at intstu@gc.cuny.edu

More New Student Information

We will update this blog regularly throughout the summer with topics that we hope you will find interesting and informative.  Please feel free to leave comments about what additional topics you might like us to cover.  Furthermore, we suggest take the time to explore the rest of the CUNY Commons.  It is a resource that will become fully available to you as a member and content creator once you have fully registered as a student and have a gradcenter.cuny.edu email address.

We look forward to you becoming a part of our intellectual community!