Posted by: Marisa Panzani | 29th Jan, 2017

Welcome new students!

This blog is for newly admitted students to the Graduate Center, CUNY.

We would like to welcome and congratulate you! If you haven’t already accepted our offer of admission please do so by logging back into the online application.

Official Documents – Transcripts and Test Scores

All admitted students need to send official, hard copies of all their academic transcripts and those which were degree programs need to also list proof of degree.  These should be sent to the Office of Admissions prior to registration.  Questions regarding these documents should be emailed to

Please have transcripts sent by mail to:

Office of Admissions, The Graduate Center

365 Fifth Avenue, Room 7201

New York, NY 10016

Official GRE/TOEFL/GMAT/IELTS scores need to be sent to The Graduate Center directly by the test issuer.

The official school code for GRE and TOEFL is: 2113

The official school code for GMAT is: XWT-S7-47


All new students are required to submit up to date immunization information prior to registration.

NY State Residency (F1 and J1 visa holders will not be able to file for residency)

If you are a US citizen and have lived at your current NY state address for more than a year, you will automatically be receiving in-state tuition.

If you are a US citizen and a NY state resident, but have lived at your present NY State address for less than one calendar year, please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.

If you are a Permanent Resident or if you are on a visa other than B, C, D, F, H2, H3, H4, J, M, O, P, Q, or TN and live in NY State please fill out the NY State Residency Form and return it to the Office of Admissions by mail or email.  Guidelines for completing the residency form can be found here.


Registration instructions will be sent to you by email usually in the second week in August.  Since that is several months from now, however, don’t forget to keep us informed of any email address changes.  (You can send those updates to

International Students

Applicants who will apply for Nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 Entry Visas to the United States, and applicants already in the United States in F-1 or J-1 Student Status must complete the “Request for Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) and Declaration & Certification of Finances for International Students.”

1.  United States government regulations require documentary evidence of financial support for the duration of a proposed course of study prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019).
2.  This documentation may also be requested by United States Consular officials upon application for an Entry Visa, by U.S., immigration inspectors at Ports of Entry into the United States, or by immigration inspectors when applications are made for extension of stay or change of Status in the United States.
3.  Submit original documents in support of this application and prepare an additional set of original documents for support of visa applications.

An applicant who would like to change Immigration status to F-1 Student Status should consult the Office of International Students for information on the correct procedure to follow.

Permanent Residents must document their status in the Office of Admissions.

All questions regarding Immigration Status should be directed to the Office of International Students at

More New Student Information

We will update this blog regularly throughout the summer with topics that we hope you will find interesting and informative.  Please feel free to leave comments about what additional topics you might like us to cover.  Furthermore, we suggest take the time to explore the rest of the CUNY Commons.  It is a resource that will become fully available to you as a member and content creator once you have fully registered as a student and have a email address.

We look forward to you becoming a part of our intellectual community!




Hi ya’ll!

Thanks for keeping us posted on things to keep in mind as we transition to CUNY… I was wondering when we would know whose in our cohort?

I’m eligible to declare residency in NYC, but I’m in a program that covers my tuition. Is it still required that we declare residency?

Amy, you can reach out to your program and ask when they will be adding you to the program listserv. In terms of meeting other new students from your program, you can try networking here or create a facebook group.

yes, you are required to declare residency or risk losing the tuition funding.

If my area of study (Liberal Studies) does not require GRE scores, do I still have to send my scores (it does not say above if sending scores depends on what you are registering for)

Hello! I am wondering when we can get our CUNY GC email address. Is there a way to get it prior to August? Many thanks, Rebecca

GC email addresses are only given out to registered students, so you cannot obtain one until after you register in August. Can you tell me what you need it for prior to August, because maybe i can assist you.

Hello! Where can I find the Alternate Lease Statement Form? Thanks!

Hello! I am an incoming Master’s student. I was wondering whether the FAFSA has been processed yet and when I will be notified of my financial aid offer? Thanks!

Thank you for all the info so far.
I am an incoming masters student (Liberal studies).
Is anyone here in the same program?

thank you for your co-operation

thank you for your co-operation

Leave a response

Your response:


Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message
Skip to toolbar